PlayCreate

RSS

The Hunger Games Tribute

We presented our work yesterday to the rest of our peers. Lauren made the slide show and was the main presenter of the group. I particular chipped in the Q&A section. We overall received positive comments especially on our lightdrawings. Our tutors credited us for our risk taking and ambition. We knew the piece didn’t come out the way we wanted to and is far from complete however I feel I wouldn’t do it differently. I have learnt so much during this process and I took the term ‘play/create’ to heart. I really wanted to throw myself and my group into the deep end and do something we have never done before. Lightpainting was a fun process because of the unknown and ever-changing results. Learning AfterEffects and Photoshop was hardwork however worthwhile as its a skill I can use in the future. The whole process I have learnt so much. I have become before confident using creative softwares and understood the basic manual settings of a SLR. It has made me want to try lightpainting again especially for illustrative purposes. The improvements I would make to the project on reflection would be to do a series of short scenes from the film and focus more on perfecting our lightpainting skills and experimenting further with it.

SOUND WHY WON’T YOU WORK? Unfortunately Ste could not find a way around it and had to just place the piece of music against our animation. We have found along the way that technology has not been our friend, but we have tried to get around this as much as possible. With the little knowledge we started off with we knew this was a risk to take. However risks often create the most amazing results.

SOUND WHY WON’T YOU WORK? Unfortunately Ste could not find a way around it and had to just place the piece of music against our animation. We have found along the way that technology has not been our friend, but we have tried to get around this as much as possible. With the little knowledge we started off with we knew this was a risk to take. However risks often create the most amazing results.

Our First Scene

Our first scene created for the film tribute in AfterEffects. I love the movement of the camera and the fact that the glow of the light is still coming across.

Light Painting - You can see the improvements we made on our drawing skills over time. One technique I discovered was to used my free hand to point where I would start so I knew where to finish accurately making the drawings complete.

This is the narrative section of our animation. We took our tutors advise and created a lightpainted alphabet to explain the story to those who are unfamiliar with it. After Lauren made up the sentences I took them into AfterEffects and animated them.

On our final day, I adding colour to the lightpaintings using Photoshops Hue/Saturation tool for the animation. I had to be careful of not loosing the tones of the light while adding enough colour so it could be seen. I also created the scenes for the ‘Narration’ and ‘Hunger Games Title’ in After Effects as well as converting the stencilled images into transparencies ready to be used.

After talking with our tutor Jon who loved our work so far, he suggested for those who had never seen the film there should be text added for plot explanation. Therefore yesterday Ste, Dave and I went to the darkspace and lightpainted the alphabet. We drew childlike type to reflect the Hunger Games use of children as well as a bold stencil type similar to the font used in the movie posters.

Experimenting with 3D in AfterEffects. We want to use this effect where appropriate to bring the scenes to life by immersing the audience into this utopian world. We all knew from the beginning the project was a risk, however seeing these simple tests has made our effort worthwhile. We all had never done lightpainting before and the results have been breathtaking. The idea of creating a film tribute with the drawings in AfterEffects, especially for the 3D aspect, was also a risk as we had never done it before either. However again the results have been worthwhile and its been fun learning a new skill which I can use through-out the course. The improvement I suggested was to place more images of the trees to make the forest more obvious and to get rid of the black space as much as possible.

How do you remove the black background from the light painted images ready for animation without loosing the beautiful effects of the light beams?

Well this was a problem for me which I needed to quickly figure out! I called for the aid of my tutors Chris and Jon who sat down with me and we through several options in Photoshop and eventually we found the best one.

We found a solution which was long winded however kept the beauty of the light beams as much as possible. We were able to remove the black background, select the light painting and place it on a transparent background so it can be easily animated. Only drawback was it converted the light painting to black and white but with the help of Photoshop that can quickly be transformed.



Reenacting the chariot scene for the film tribute. Me and Ste stood as still as possible while Dave photographed Lauren and Jezebel drawing the fire and wheels around us. It took us several goes but it produced a brilliant image.